Israel threatens to occupy Gaza if hostages are not released

Israel threatens to occupy Gaza if hostages are not released

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued a stern warning to the Palestinian independence movement Hamas. He said that if the remaining hostages held by Hamas are not released, Gaza will be partially occupied. Hamas has threatened to send the hostages back in ‘coffins’ if Israel does not stop its attacks.

The first phase of the ceasefire began on January 19 after 15 months of indiscriminate Israeli attacks on Gaza. Israel wants to extend the first phase of the ceasefire and return all the hostages to Israel. However, Hamas demands that the ceasefire be extended to the second and third phases as agreed. This will permanently end the fighting in Gaza. In the midst of such conflict, Israel resumed its brutality in Gaza on March 18. According to country officials, they have launched a new attack to bring the hostages back. Hamas still holds 58 prisoners after releasing 33 during the first phase of the ceasefire. It is feared that 34 of them have died.

In such a situation, Benjamin Netanyahu said in the Israeli parliament, “The more Hamas persists in not releasing our hostages, the stronger the pressure we will apply. This includes other measures, including the occupation of (Gaza) territory. I will not go into detail about them here.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said that a full-scale operation will be launched in other areas of Gaza. In addition, residents will be ordered to leave more areas. After that, Israeli military spokesman Aviche Adri ordered the evacuation of Gaza City and various surrounding areas. Israel continued to attack various areas in Gaza on Thursday after violating the ceasefire. The organization said that a Hamas spokesman named Abdul Latif al-Qano was killed in the Jabalia area in northern Gaza on that day. A statement said that Israel directly attacked the tent where Latif al-Qanou was staying.

On Thursday, the Gaza Health Ministry said that at least 25 people had been killed in the valley in the previous 24 hours. This brings the total number of deaths in Israeli attacks since the ceasefire violation to 855. And since the war began on October 7, 2023, a total of 50,208 people have been killed in Gaza. 113,910 people have been injured. Meanwhile, amid Israel’s threats and warnings over the occupation of Gaza, Hamas said in a statement, “Every time Israel tries to use its power to take back its hostages, they (the hostages) will eventually return in coffins.” They are trying to keep the hostages alive as much as possible. However, this is becoming difficult due to Israeli bombing.

Protests are ongoing in Israel amid the attacks on Gaza. Thousands of people gathered near the country’s parliament in Jerusalem on Wednesday night. They opposed a bill that would increase political influence in the appointment of judges, and also demanded a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of hostages.

Related posts

Leave a Comment