Supreme Court blocks removal Israel’s Supreme Court has suspended the removal of Ronen Bar, the head of the country’s domestic intelligence agency, Shin Bet. The court will make a final decision on the matter by April 8.
The Israeli cabinet approved the decision to remove Bar on Thursday. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the decision would take effect on April 10.
Protests have erupted across the country against the decision to remove Bar. Protesters gathered in front of Netanyahu’s residence. Police used water cannons to disperse the protesters. Clashes also broke out with police in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Netanyahu said he had lost trust in Bar. However, an anti-corruption investigation is being seen as the reason behind Bar’s removal. The investigation was launched after allegations that Qatar offered bribes to Netanyahu’s office staff.
Netanyahu denied the allegations, saying there was a conspiracy to oust him. Ronen Bar alleged that there were “unacceptable reasons” behind his removal.
Barr had offered to resign voluntarily over intelligence failures following the Hamas attack on October 7 last year, but his offer was not accepted.
Protests have erupted across the country against the decision to remove Bar. Protesters gathered in front of Netanyahu’s residence. Police used water cannons to disperse the protesters. Clashes also broke out with police in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Netanyahu said he had lost trust in Bar. However, an anti-corruption investigation is being seen as the reason behind Bar’s removal. The investigation was launched after allegations that Qatar offered bribes to Netanyahu’s office staff.
Netanyahu denied the allegations, saying there was a conspiracy to oust him. Ronen Bar alleged that there were “unacceptable reasons” behind his removal.
Barr had offered to resign voluntarily over intelligence failures following the Hamas attack on October 7 last year, Supreme Court blocks removal